Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Dress

I've dreamed my entire life of choosing my wedding dress. Finally...it's my turn.

The search began at the Filene's Basement crazy wedding dress sale...only I had no idea the sale was going on. Greg's Mom and I went in the evening after all the hoopla (thank god), so the pickin's were slim. I grabbed a dress or two just for shits and giggles. When I walked out of the dressing room in the first dress, Greg's Mom busted out laughing. The dress was big and poofy and ridiculous. SO not me.

We went to David's Bridal one day on a whim. The sales girl asked me what I was looking for and I told her, "I want a strapless, fitted dress, kinda mermaid style. I like lace too. Like the dress on the mannequin over there, that's very similar to what I'm looking for." She ran off to grab me some dresses. What she came back with...was nothing I had described; she didn't even bring the dress that was on the mannequin!

Then I went to a local bridal shop with my bridesmaids in tow. They picked dresses. I picked dresses, and the sales woman, Willie, picked dresses. There was one my bridesmaids loved, and there was one I loved, but for some reason, Willie kept telling me about another dress I had to try on. So after trying on seven dresses, she brings me the dress. My first thought: yuck. It was nothing I would have ever picked, but Willie insisted I try it on. So I did and I couldn't take my eyes off myself. It was stunning. There was something intriguing, different, and very couture about the dress. I now had it narrowed down to two dresses.

My last stop was the bridal district in Cincinnati (yes, Cincinnati has a bridal district). There was a store there they had thousands of dresses from designer to knock off. They had the intriguing dress there only for about $1000 more. I tried on a few different dresses, but I kept going back to that one dress.

That's when I decided that it was THE one. I made an appointment with Willie again to try on my two choices. It was a no brainer. I ordered the dress and that was that! I would post a picture on here, but I'm afraid my lovely fiance will run across this blog and see it. I will tell you that it's white, fitted, and it's a Melissa Sweet knock off. It's gorgeous and I LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment