Saturday, February 21, 2009

Will You Marry Me?

My friend David said, "A girl dreams of the perfect wedding. A guy dreams of the perfect proposal." My fiance, Greg, dreamed up something that I never would have come up with in my wildest dreams.

Some friends of ours had mentioned going on the Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man cruise. Really? Lynyrd Skynyrd has their own cruise? Holy hell...we've got to go on this! So in January 2008, we hopped on a big ass boat along with 3000 other rednecks to enjoy four days on the high seas with one of the greatest southern rock bands to ever exist.

Let's rewind for a minute. In mid to late 2007, Greg said to me, "Baby, if we ever get married, we'll have to get married on July 18th since that's already our anniversary. That way, I don't have to remember a new date." Being the wonderful girlfriend that I am, I looked on a calendar to find out when July 18th was falling on a Saturday: July 18, 2009. The next day, I let Greg know and he said, "OK." And that was that. So we had talked about the wedding, but there was never a proposal.

A couple weeks before we left for the cruise, Greg's Mom emailed me and asked me what my favorite cut of diamond was. That really should have tipped me off, and in the back of my head I was thinking, "Maybe he'll propose on the cruise..." Then it left my mind when he got into a huge fight with his Mom the day before we left, "She's just trying to get me to do things before I'm ready and not on my terms!" When he said that I thought, "Well, looks like he's not proposing on the cruise." And any idea of a proposal was deleted from my brain permanently.

So we go on the cruise and have some fruity cocktails, hang out with our friends, and rock out to some amazing bands. On the third day of the cruise, we stopped in Calica, Mexico. We all decided to go on an excursion to see some Mayan ruins. As we approach the last ruin, Greg runs up the front of the steps and I run up after him...only to stop half way up.


Those steps were steep and I was over it. I told Greg I was going back down. He kept reassuring me that everything was OK and that I just needed to climb the rest of the way up. I kept reassuring him that the steps were too steep and I was freaking out, so I was climbing down. Then everyone on the ground started telling me to go the rest of the way up and they'd take our picture. I thought to myself, "When am I ever going to get the chance to stand on top of a Mayan ruin again?" I gathered up what courage I had left in me and climbed the rest of the way up. Once I made it up there, I went to grab Greg so we could have our picture taken, but he had other plans.


He dropped down on one knee and asked me to marry him and I started crying like a freaking baby. He blindsided me. I TOTALLY didn't see it coming, even though I should have because ALL the signs were there. It was more perfect than I could have ever imagined it.

What made it even more special was that our friends were there to witness it. There's even video of it and the commentary on the ground (and the bitchfest I was having on the way up those steps) is hysterical. If our friend Derek can ever figure out how the hell to get it off of his video camera, I'll post it on here.

Now I ask you...does a proposal get any better or any more rock & roll than that? No way! I got engaged on the mother f-ing Lynyrd Skynyrd cruise bitches!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment