Saturday, February 21, 2009

Going to the Chapel...

Even before it was official, I was calling every venue to get prices. You know what I discovered immediately? The wedding industry is a rapist. They rape you on anything and everything they can. It's absolutely ridiculous.

One venue will boast free rental...only if you spend at least $20,000 on food. Another venue is only $1500, but you have to buy $30,000 in food and drinks. You can only use their vendors. You can't bring in your own booze. AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have that kind of cash to throw down on one day!

My first choice of venue: The Grand Valley Dale Ballroom.

Not only is it freaking gorgeous but it's also historic. It was a big band and swing club back in the day. The Rat Pack, along with many others, performed here. One of my best friends got married here, and the second I walked inside I fell in love with it. There is also the most amazing Art Deco bar upstairs for the cocktail hour. STUNNING.

Only one problem: I couldn't afford it. It was about $1500 to rent and I had to pick a beverage package and the cheapest one started around $3500. On top of that, is the price of the caterer. Although the price for the Valley Dale was much cheaper than every other venue I had looked into, it was still out of my price range.

Lucky for me, I have awesome friends. I was feeling a little down since I knew I wasn't going to be able to book the venue of my dreams, so my friend Charlene suggested I check out a little place called the Olde Gahanna Sanctuary. It was cute, quaint and cheap.

So my future mother-in-law, Cindy, and I went to check it out. Charlene was right. It was super adorable and affordable. The Sanctuary was a church but no longer functions as one; it's a community center/event center now. There are beautiful stained glass windows everywhere and it has an old school charm to it. For the price, I couldn't beat it. I definitely visited other places that were cheaper, but they were also much trashier. And I could use a caterer of my choice and I could bring in my own booze. Score! So I wrote a check for the deposit and that was that.

Make sure you check out the website for pics of the venue. I couldn't get them to load on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment